Here you will find Erika’s Tips for Handling Daily Mail! Are you ready?
- Open the mail on a daily basis.
- Recycle all envelopes that don’t have your name and address on them.
- Shred all envelopes and junk mail that have your name and address on them.
- If you have a catalog, like a Current catalog, remove not only the back (or front) page with your name and address, but look for an order form inside that also has your name and address on it; shred those pages and recycle the remainder of the catalog.
- Any important mail, scan it in and save it to your computer in an organized file related to that piece of mail.
- Once you’ve scanned the mail in, and put it into its digital place, make the decision as to whether you need to keep the paper copy. If not – shred it!
- Deal with your mail on a daily basis!
How can I stop mail clutter from entering my home or business in the first place?
Cancel unwanted mail, phone calls, emails and catalog subscriptions (each link opens in a new window).
- www.catalogchoice.org – cancel unwanted catalogs.
- www.optoutscreen.com – cancel unwanted credit card and insurance offers (1-888-5OPTOUT).
- www.directmail.com and www.dmachoice.org – cancel unwanted “junk mail”.
- 1-866-966-2255/www.nocall.wisconsin.gov – cancel unwanted phone calls (effective for two years).
- www.donotcall.gov – cancel unwanted telemarketing calls. Effective 31 days after registration.
- www.unrollme.com – cancel and organize email subscriptions.
- www.paperkarma.com – cancel mail as it enters your home using this app on your phone.
- www.yellowpagesoptout.com – stop getting the yellow pages.
- www.ecocycle.org/junkmail – info about getting off charity mailing, “current resident” mailings, etc.